Monday, November 24, 2014

I AM THE WORD review #1

As we are coming to a close of chapter One—The Word, I thought it might be a good time to recap.

One of my favorite expressions is: “The Good News is ‘You are not who you think you are.”’

Aside from being aware that you are energy, or frequency, it might be helpful simply to realize you are more than what you might have previously thought, and you are open to expanding your viewpoint and understanding of the self.

A wise teacher began all his imageries/ mediations with the following induction (I’m giving you the brief form): “You have a body, but you are not your body, you are much more than that; you have feelings and emotions, but you are not your feelings or emotions, you are much more than that; you have thoughts and a mind, but you are not your thoughts nor your mind, you are much more than that. You are more than your body, more than your feelings, more than your mind and thoughts.” 

The object here is to allow your understanding of self to go beyond the usual self-imposed boundaries.

I came across another illustration of this expanded viewpoint in an imagery, which I will summarize here: Imagine that you are floating in space, and in one of your hands is a large, heavy, transparent plastic bag. You begin to throw into the bag everything you think you are—your thoughts, your feelings, your roles in life, even the really important ones like father, grandmother, minister, friend…, all your sensations, your talent, memories, your past and anything you might be clinging to either positively or negatively, your future, your guilt, fears, joys, sorrows, your body, anything else you are aware that you identify with—throw it all in the bag…When you are done, release the bag and watch it float away.
Now, the You that is left is much more who you truly are than anything else!!!!

The Buddhists suggest, “Imagine a time when you never were.” And you can’t!

So that awareness is a step in the process, and to use the language of the text, I’m sure you can get a feel for the distinct vibration/frequency of particular roles and thought patterns we might identify with. 

If I am distractedly cooking dinner and thinking about someone I can't stand and with whom I had an argument with at work that day, my vibration is certainly going to be different than if I were cooking dinner lovingly and thinking about how much I care for my family and am looking forward to offering  them this form of physical nurturing. 

You can think of your own examples of that one, the point is that once we become aware, we now can make choices about what kind of vibes we are creating and what kind of vibes we are putting out there.

We are always creating. When I am consciously aware, I can begin to consciously create what I truly desire. 

If I am not aware or “asleep” then I will be creating the same stuff I always have created and very possibly view myself as a victim.

Now I am not suggesting that we are always going to understand our creations, especially if they might take the form of illness or accident.
Rev. Ray pointed out a couple of weeks ago, being grateful does not necessarily mean being grateful that I wrecked my car or got shingles or whatever. What it does mean is that I have a choice to look for the grace and vibrate in the frequency of grace rather than anger.

Believe me, I'm just a bird chirping int he same nest we are all living in. I cannot understand or control life with my intellect. In realms of the Spirit I am always dealing with a “me” of limited understanding. I will forever be in the realm of mystery, that only my heart can embrace.

No comments:

Post a Comment